1 lb dry ziti pasta (Penne pasta also works well)
1 onion, chopped
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 lb Italian sausage (I use Publix Greenwise Italian Sausage)
2 (26 oz) jars spaghetti sauce (this night I used Mezzetta Napa Valley Bistro pasta sauce)
6 slices provolone cheese (Sargento is my favorite)
1 1/2 cups sour cream
3 tbsp fresh basil (5 or 6 leaves chopped up)
8 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded (Sargento brand)
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti pasta, and cook until al dente, about 6 to 7 minutes; drain.
2. In a large bowl mix together beef and sausage. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
3. In a large skillet, brown onion and meat, over medium heat. Add spaghetti sauce, and simmer 15 minutes.
4. Mix the sour cream, Parmesan cheese, and basil together in a small bowl.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 9×13 inch baking dish (optional on the butter). Layer as follows: 1/2 of the ziti, Provolone cheese, sour cream mixture, 1/2 sauce mixture, remaining ziti, remaining sauce mixture, then sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top.
6. Cover and bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheeses are melted.
*Top with fresh basil before serving it to your family, friends, or guest.