“Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember;
involve me and I’ll understand.” -Chinese Proverb
If you are homeschooling more than two grades at a time, I encourage you to read the nine reasons to have older siblings teach their younger siblings, listed below.
1. Hearing the same statement from a different person can trigger a light bulb.
2. Having the older student teach is reaffirming they know the information.
3. The child is more apt to remember the information they are explaining to their brother or sister.
4. It frees mom/teacher up to help another child needing special attention.
5. It creates stronger bonds between siblings.
6. It boosts the child’s confidence when they are able to teach a subject to their brother or sister.
7. It promotes creative thinking in the child that is helping their sibling.
8. It encourages independent learning from mom/teacher.
9. It creates special memories!
This is my first year teaching more than one child at a time and boy have I learned a lot in the past 4 months! One thing that works very well is the older ones helping the younger ones.
Here’s a couple of examples, Alayna, my second grader, will sit with her younger sister, Victoria, she’s in kindergarten, and help her review three-letter words, while I’m with the baby. Then Victoria will go over shapes, colors, letters and numbers with Kayla, while I’m spending one on one time with Alayna.
When the older siblings help the younger siblings it’s a win all around. Yes, the younger sibling is learning, but the older sibling is also learning. How do you know you know something? When you can teach it! By having siblings assist each other, they are building their confidence, they are learning how to be patient, and they are even learning how to be creative.
*Teaching, helping and listening does not mean you’re a boss. Make sure the older siblings are not being bossy in the process of assisting.
*It might work best if the siblings assist each other in reviews and not in new concepts (depending on the age).
*Let them be creative in their methods. In the picture above, Alayna and Victoria chose to review on top of their playhouse outside and why wouldn’t they. Everyone knows you learn best on top of a roof, not a desk!
There are many benefits of sibling helping sibling…give it a try if you haven’t already!